Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Leaving on a Jet Plane

I am writing my first official Peace Corps blog post from JFK airport as I wait to board my plane for Ouagadougou. This flight will start the beginning of a 27 month journey that will more than likely permanently change my life. For those of you who don't know, I am volunteering with the Peace Corps as a Community Health Development Worker in Burkina Faso (West Africa) from 12/2010 to 12/2012. The next three months will consist of language (French), technical and cultural training in the regional capital of Koudougou before I am sent to my post in December. At post I believe I will be working in a regional health clinic, but a lot of the details are still unclear. I will try and update when I have more information about where my post is and what my work will entail.

The last two and a half months since I accepted my invitation to serve as a Peace Corps volunteer have been an emotional roller coaster. I have been nervous and excited, felt doubt and apprehension and even though one or twice "what the hell are you doing?" But I feel that to be a true Peace Corps volunteer you have to hit all of these emotional points, otherwise you haven't fully thought through what you are about to do. It seems surreal that tomorrow I will land in Burkina Faso and I probably wont believe that this is all happening until I do.

I am intending that this blog be my way to both share my experiences with my family and friends back home and as a release for myself. I am going to try and keep my comments as neutral as possible, but if I offend anyone I apologise in advance.

I would never have been able to move across the world for over two years if I didn't have the support and love of my family and friends. I cannot tell you how much all of your messages, phone calls and letters mean to me. Knowing that there are so many people out there thinking of me has given me the strength to take this first step of my journey.

I hope to stay in touch while I am abroad via e-mail, facebook, skype and this blog. Please keep in touch! I want to stay updated on everything that is going on back in the states while I am gone.

Love you all and see you on the other side!!

6 comments:

  1. Anna - You are an amazing and giving person and the Peace Corps is lucky to have you. All our best on this next adventure in your life. You will have the opportunity to learn so much that will help you later in the Public Health arena. Don't forget to take lots of pictures, especially of the children and keep journaling as all of us back home are anxious to hear how life in Burkina is going. Love, M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anna - I guess the big day (one of likely many to come!) is here! I'm really looking forward to reading your future posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anna - Thanks for sharing the blog - OK so really your mom sent it on to me. :) Looking forward to reading all your postings so that I can live vicariously through your experiences. I think you will be amazed at how much you will love your assignment and I know that you will make a wonderful impact on the lives you touch. You are in our thoughts. Love, Gloria & Phurba

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to hear about all of your adventures! You are going to do great things an the people there will fall in ove with you...it's hard not to! Best of luck and safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sad that I wasn't able to see you before you left! If you can, come to New Delhi for xmas pleaseee! I can't wait to hear all about your adventures.btw add me on skype ok? Stay safe, don't talk to strangers, don't eat street food, and make sure your stray/protective dog gets a rabies shot. :) love youuu

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love the title - and I'm glad you read the book in our failing book club before you left! And it hits on so many levels:

    French Revolution... French speaking country

    ...Haha that's all I got right now.

    Well, my dear, I know that the transition period is not the easiest right now, but just think of Gandalf (the whole "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us" thing, especially when said in a grandfather-ly deep voice), and know that you are strong, capable, and you WILL get through this! (I sound like the quitting smoking tape that Chandler tries to hipnotize himself with at night... "you are a strong, confident woman!")

    In six months, you'll be lightyears beyond your fears and frustrations (to say the least) from the first few days and reveling in your new, awesome, and rewarding life.

    I love you so much and all I can say, not even being able to truly imagine all that you're going through, is that this too shall pass and can only lead to truly finding out what you're made of and what can you accomplish. I'm so jealous of this amazing experience - yes, JEALOUS, of the latrines, and scary jumping men, and breakdowns... JEALOUS of your AIB (a.k.a. awe-inspiring balls) in taking this huge leap of faith in yourself and forcing yourself to overcome whatever obstacles come your way.

    I can't wait until the next blog post, but since I know the internet leaves much to be desired in BF, whenever you get this just know that you inspire me to do more for this world and I admire, respect, and love you so much!

    Live it up dude!

    ReplyDelete